Senior Faculty Position
Malaysia Institute for Supply Chain Innovation
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The Government of Malaysia through a long-term partnership with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Center for Transportation & Logistics (MIT CTL) established the Malaysia Institute for Supply Chain Innovation (MISI) in 2011. MISI is becoming a leading center of transportation, logistics, and supply chain management education and research. It is located in Shah Alam just outside Kuala Lumpur. The institution offers two Master degree programs and is in the process of launching a Doctoral program. It conducts applied research, provides executive education programs, and works with corporations doing business in Asia.
MISI is a key member of MIT’s Global Supply Chain and Logistics Excellence (SCALE) Network of research centers in the area of transportation, logistics and supply chain management. The MIT SCALE Network consists of six centers: MIT CTL (Cambridge, MA USA), the Zaragoza Logistics Center or ZLC (Zaragoza, Spain), the Center for Latin-America Logistics Innovation or CLI (Bogota, Colombia), the Malaysia Institute for Supply Chain Innovation or MISI (Shah Alam, Malaysia), the Luxembourg Centre for Logistics or LCL (Luxembourg), and Ningbo Supply Chain Innovation Institute China or NSIIC (Ningbo, China). Together, this network of centers educates hundreds of master’s students, doctoral candidates, and executives each year.
Faculty members of MISI are responsible for advancing the Center’s mission of excellence in education, research, and corporate involvement. All faculty members are expected to develop, design, and deliver world-class teaching material at the Master and Doctoral levels. As part of MISI academic team, faculty members are responsible for creating, supporting, and disseminating new knowledge in logistics, supply chain management, and related fields.
Faculty members are expected to conduct high quality research in collaboration with industry and government; supervise theses; publish in top international journals, academic proceedings, and trade journals; actively participate in all programs offered and supported by MISI; and collaborate with academics and researchers at the other MIT Global SCALE Network centers.
The senior faculty member is expected to direct the academic and research activities at MISI, provide leadership in industry forums, mentor junior faculty members, and contribute to the growth of MISI.
Candidates should possess most of the following:
- A doctorate in logistics, supply chain management, engineering, economics, business, or a related discipline
- Significant experience teaching or researching in a major university;
- Significant experience in the field of logistics and supply chain management;
- International exposure, reflected in publications, projects, conference participation and/or guest lectures;
- Evidence of the ability to build strong international relationships with researchers and professionals in academia, industry, and government;
- Evidence of the ability to develop and deliver lectures and class material at the graduate level (both Master and Doctoral);
- A demonstrated commitment to the involvement of MISI with the regional community;
- Ability to generate sponsored research and promote technology transfer and entrepreneurship;
- Administrative experience, including personnel and budget management skills;
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, including the abilities to listen, to persuade, and to show appreciation of the efforts of others;
- Ability to communicate with industry, give presentations, and lead meetings in English.
- Passion and commitment to lead and grow this relatively new venture
We invite inquiries, nominations, and applications. All applications should include a current CV, a research statement, and a cover letter explaining interest and relevant experience. All communications will be held in total confidence. For more information and directions on submitting an application, please visit:
Electronic submissions are encouraged. The review of applications and nominations is underway and will continue until the position is filled. The position is based in Malaysia and commands a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications. Starting dates are negotiable.
MISI is a culturally diverse teaching and research environment and provides equal opportunity for all applicants. Applications from women and minorities are encouraged.
For more information about MIT CTL or the other centers in the MIT Global SCALE Network please visit http://scale.mit.edu/